Friday, January 01, 2010

January 01, 2010


I'd like to start off by admitting that I have turned into a Facebook GAMES addict, note the emphasis on the word GAMES. Facebook has become such an indispensable "tool" that people cannot end the day without advising their 600 friends or so about their state-of-being at any given time. "Off to Greenbelt 5 for some serious window shopping" or "Hubby and I are stuck at the SLEX for 2 hours but are having the time of our lives"... WTF??!!! Do I really need to know that?!

Anyway, as I have turned into a Facebook GAMES addict, the urge to write in my spare time has been replaced by checking up on my stoves at Cafe World, what needs to get harvested in Farmtown and Farmville and how many $$$$s I have amassed at Mob Wars. Its terrible really. A number of "friends" in my FB friends list are actually my Farmtown/Farmville/Cafe World Neighbors, the desire to rack up the points is that serious. :-)

So, 2010 is upon us and with it, the usual hopes for a better year. A significant number of events happened in the second half of 2009 which marked the year as one of the most trying in Philippine History. After a year long battle with colon cancer, former President Corazon Aquino finally succumbed to the illness last August. Shortly after her death, clamor for her only son, Noynoy, to run for President, grew. In September - October, typhoon Ondoy and Pepeng submerged a large part of Metro Manila and the Northern Luzon provinces, notably in the Cordillera region, under water. Fatalities were high and damage to crops ran in the multi millions. Days following the typhoon, any sign of gray skies made denizens of the metropolis nervous and carrying umbrellas was de riguer.

With the national elections a few months away, the race to ensure winnability commenced. In Metro Manila, the presidentiables have started releasing their ad campaigns on TV while unbeknownst to the rest of the Philippine populace, a tragedy was about to happen in Muslim Mindanao. One fine November day, a group of journalists accompanied the wife of a governor-candidate in Maguindanao together with her women friends and women relatives to the local Comelec office. Their convoy was stopped and on the spot,were all brutally murdered, according to news reports, by parties from the ruling party. International Media went up in arms as fellow journalists were found decapitated in the crime scene.

The latest tragedy to hit the news is the collision between an inter-island ferry and a fishing boat on Christmas Eve.

On a personal note, Anton turned 2 years and 4 months and is at his most terrible 2 stage. :-( He can be so tiring to take care of but he can also be extremely cute and lovable. Patience patience patience. I've also been sending out my CV and was able to secure a second panel interview with a Multi-lateral organization which I really really hope will call me to say that they're hiring me for the job.

Finally, the emotional intensity I have for TB has truly waned and I'm so glad it has finally happened. We're still friends and I'm glad that he stuck with me all throughout my hang-ups.

So, this has been what's going on with me lately. As with the advent of a new year, I hope this year will bring more pleasant tidings to each and everyone of us, personally and professionaly.

National Geographic Photo of the Day